Copycat Craft: Ruffled Lampshade

Hey there, fellow moms and DIYers, hope you had a great weekend! I haven't posted in awhile because my mom came up for a visit last week and we spent time with the kids, re-painted our family room and sewed curtains for our sliding glass doors. I'll share an updated project list with you and pictures of the room later, but for now I wanted to share a Copycat Craft with you. It's also the first time I've taken part in Under the Table and Dreaming's Sunday Showcase Party, as well as Skip to My Lou's Made By You Monday, so follow the buttons at the bottom of this post for more great ideas.

Winder and Main's ruffled lampshade seemed like the perfect way to update our ugly floor lamp, so I went for it using her instructions. Here's her version:



And here's a before picture of our floorlamp:



And a couple of afters with a coat of Rustoleum's hammered bronze spray paint and the new shade:





Nap Rating = 3 naps (but this depends on a lot of things like how big your lampshade is, how wide you cut the ruffles, etc.)

Skill Level = a little experience with a sewing machine is needed, but trust me, the ruffles are very forgiving. You don't have to cut them or sew them perfectly straight. I'm a terribly inaccurate sewer, and this was still easy for me.

Cost = minimal (I only needed to buy the fabric and chose linen, just like in the instructions. The linen cost about $12 per yard but I had a 50% off coupon. I used a pretty standard-sized lampshade and 1 yard was plenty, so the material only cost about $6. I also had to buy extra glue sticks for the hot glue gun, so that was an extra $4.99. Still, not bad for a new-to-me lamp.)

Instructions = This was a great tutorial. I followed the instructions pretty closely, but I did overlap the ruffles a bit more than she did. Also, I'd like to add that you'll probably want to give your ruffles a haircut before glueing them on. The linen unraveled quite a bit for me. Rough-hewn is good, but too many threads hanging out would've looked sloppy. Finally, you'll be happier with a lighter shade of fabric. I chose a creamy linen and the light still shines through nicely.

Does mine look like the picture = Yep. (Woo-hoo!)

Bottom Line = This craft took a little longer than some I choose to undertake, but it was worth it and not hard at all. Give it a shot.

UndertheTableandDreaming

Skip To My Lou

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Handpicked Hostess Gifts Under $20

Peaches and Cream Scones

Blue and Red Valentine Decorations