Open Shelving in Our Kitchen

open shelving styling tips


Guys, you don't even know. These shelves have been in a state of half-done-ness for oh, I dunno...maybe a year?? I'm so excited to finally be able to take pictures of them for you.

kitchen open shelves


First off, I do want to admit that I wasn't positive I'd love the function of open shelving but I loved the look enough to go ahead with it anyway. I'm so happy to report that I love every aspect of them! That being said, I only have stuff on them that we use literally every day, so things are getting washed constantly and don't have a chance to collect dust. I think I'd feel differently about our open shelves if they were styled for looks, not practicality.

Secondly, I learned a couple of things about how to make them look nice.

  • I think it's important to stick with a color palette. Stacks of white plates look best, in my opinion, with pops of color on other things like mixing bowls or glasses.
  • It's a good idea to repeat colors on the shelves. For instance, I have blue bowls on top, and blue glasses on the bottom and white plates scattered evenly. One thing that kinda bugs me is the orange juice glasses on the left side. I love the glasses, but feel like the orange needs to be balanced elsewhere.
  • Adding texture always makes things more interesting. This is easily achieved with a basket or two.
  • A couple of decorative elements break up the monotony of the dishes. I added some DIY kitchen art, a little owl cup, and an antique kitchen scale.

Here are some more pics:

blue mixing bowls on kitchen shelves

kitchen shelves and subway tile

kitchen shelving closeup

antique kitchen scale on shelf

how to style open storage in kitchen

For more great tips on how to make the most of your open shelving and pretty pictures showing other kitchens, check out my article Styling Tips for Kitchen Shelves.  




Some More Kitchen Projects


DIY Kitchen Art


Kitchen Island with Bookcase


DIY Galvanized Letters

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Handpicked Hostess Gifts Under $20

Peaches and Cream Scones

Blue and Red Valentine Decorations