Knock Off: Z Gallerie Ming Box

z gallerie knock off ming box


Hey, hey! I'm really proud of my latest knock off. Z Gallerie's Ming Boxes were just the thing I needed to corral all of the chargers on our nightstand, but I didn't want to pay $59.95 for a set of them. Besides, I only needed one. So with a few craft supplies and some patience, I made my own decorative storage box and it looks very similar to the ones I coveted. What do you think?

z gallerie ming box
Theirs $59.95

diy decorative box
Mine $12


Here's how I made it:

Z Gallerie Ming Box Knock Off
Nap Rating = 2 naps (not including dry-time)

Tools & Materials
  • Unfinished, hinged wooden box
  • Painter's tape
  • Spray primer and paint in color of your choice
  • Printer
  • Cardboard
  • Craft knife
  • Gold leaf paint pen
  • Glue
  • Small paintbrush

Steps
  1. Tape off the hinges using painter's tape. I tore off a piece of tape and pressed it firmly all along the hinge's edges so I could see where to score the tape with my knife. Then I peeled away the excess.
  2. Prime the box with spray primer. Let dry.
  3. Spray the box with 2 coats of your color. Let dry overnight.
  4. Meanwhile, use Word on your computer to make a fretwork design. I simply added rectangles and played around with the weight of the lines and the size of the whole image until it looked right. Print out the image.
  5. Color the entire back of the image with a pencil, then place it right-side-up on a piece of thin, yet sturdy cardboard. Trace the design so that the image transfers to the cardboard.
  6. Use your knife to carefully cut out the negative spaces of your motif.
  7. Once you've completely cut out the shape and cleaned up the images as best you can, color the entire thing with a gold leaf paint pen. Let dry.
  8. Center the design on your box and lightly mark where it needs to be cut so that the box can open.
  9. Now that your design is in two pieces, use a small paint brush to completely coat the back of it with glue, then adhere it to the box. Let dry.
  10. Spray the entire thing with clear lacquer to seal it and prevent scratches.

diy jewelry box






Other Knock Offs of Mine:


Z Gallerie Knock Off Eye Chart Tray


Land of Nod Knock Off


One Kings Lane Bookends

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Handpicked Hostess Gifts Under $20

Peaches and Cream Scones

Blue and Red Valentine Decorations