Faux Milk Glass

I was so inspired by last week's Craft of the Week (Live Gorgeously and her dollar store vases), I just had to go buy some myself. So I took the girls to our local thrift store and paid about $2 total for FIVE of my own vases. Except...although I LOVED Ashleigh's colors and the way they still looked crystal-like because she painted the inside...I decided to play it safe with white and paint the outside so they'd (fingers crossed) look like milk glass. And guess what? They actually do! Here's the before and after for ya:

Cool, right? I figure I won't ever get sick of 'em because they are, after all, just white, and I'll be able to use them in any room, alone or in a group. I can see them with greenery for Christmas, bittersweet berries for fall, or sunflowers in the summer. Or maybe if I ever get me some much-coveted built-ins, I'll paint the insides a cool color and let the white "ceramics" pop out like those in the pics below. Gosh, who knew buying some Krylon and painting some old vases would lead me to "require" my husband to build some bookcases...stat. So, I guess my $5 craft will be leading to a bit of a pricier project, which just proves to me what I've known all along. I've got a sickness.

I've been a bad blogger lately. Please forgive me for my lack of a tutorial on this one. But my crafts recently have been pretty straightforward. Anyway, for these, I simply cleaned them, (I had to use some Goof Off to get the prices off), let them dry completely, and sprayed them with white gloss spray paint. I tried semi-gloss first, but that didn't achieve the milk glass look. So I went over them again with gloss. That's it! I didn't even bother painting the inside past what was visible.

via Centsational Girl
via Better Homes & Gardens
via Young House Love

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Handpicked Hostess Gifts Under $20

Peaches and Cream Scones

Blue and Red Valentine Decorations