Z Gallerie Knock-Off: Eye Chart Tray

I'm in love with the technique of transfering images and graphics to stuff using just a pencil! I told you how I did this with my toolbox turned planter, I've also used it to create a growth chart (which I'll share at some point), and now I've just transformed a tray using the same process. So easy! I found some old TV trays at a garage sale for 50 cents each so I snapped them up because I love spray painting these old trays for so many uses. (Hmmm...I smell a post idea.) Anyway, the inspiration for this project came from the tray I had seen on Z Gallerie, pictured above. And here's mine:

Z Gallerie Knock-Off: Eye Chart Tray
Nap Rating = 2 naps (factoring in dry-time)

Tools & Materials
  • Tray (could be metal or wood)
  • Sandpaper
  • Spray paint in cream or white
  • Access to a photocopier (possibly)
  • Pencil
  • Painter's tape
  • Sharpie or other permanent marker like this one
  • Spray sealer


Steps
  1. Lightly sand your tray if it has chipped paint or rust on it. Wipe it with a damp towel and let dry.
  2. Spray paint your tray and let dry overnight.
  3. Find an image for an eye chart online (I used Google Images) and print it out. You may need to enlarge it with a copier. I did.
  4. Using a pencil, color the back of the graphic like I did here.
  5. Turn the graphic right side up again, and center it on the tray. Use painter's tape to secure it.
  6. With a pencil, trace the outline of the letters. The pencil on the back of the paper will transfer to the tray.
  7. Remove the paper, and using the permanent marker or paint pen, fill the graphic in.
  8. Spray the tray with sealer.

I put my new creation on our bedside table and it kinda makes me laugh because, incidentally, I'm blind as a bat when I wake up and have to fumble for my glasses. Get it? I love it when I make something that has an ironic or secret meaning to me or my family.



Entered into this great contest:


Shared at the thrifty project party at Our Fifth House.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Handpicked Hostess Gifts Under $20

Peaches and Cream Scones

Blue and Red Valentine Decorations