Marshmallow Flowers

Have you ever thought you'd hit on a great idea, only to see it done somewhere else even better? Bummer. I guess it's true what they say: there are no original ideas. In this case, I wanted to decorate our daughter's third birthday cake with flowers, and since I'm as unskilled with a pastry bag as, well, our three-year-old, I decided to make them out of marshmallows instead of buttercream. I was so sure I'd just hit on an idea that would be pinned all over the place, when I saw the April/May 2012 issue of Taste of Home.

Sigh. Well, I don't care IF Taste of Home's are cuter, I'm showing you mine anyway (pictured above...as if I needed to point out which were mine).

I just frosted the cake, then cut jumbo marshmallows with wet scissors into four "petals." I then dipped each "petal" in colored sugar so that the sticky part of the marshmallow got coated, and the edges remained outlined in white. Cool trick, huh? Yeah, I thought so, too...

If you want or need your cake to look more professionally done, you could follow these instructions. But if you don't want to buy any special tools, or can't find those marshmallow stackers they mention, just go old school and try my way.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Handpicked Hostess Gifts Under $20

Peaches and Cream Scones

Blue and Red Valentine Decorations